Old August 17th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default What's the secret to long glide with poles?

Gunde raises some a good general point about pole length, tho I
think he missed that the question is actually about skiing poleless.
I would be careful with xczone video he lists. These Canadians are
die-hard proponents of the so-called "new skate," which represents a
very North American idea about skate technique, and one that has not
been adopted at the top levels of world cup skiing in Europe. Depending
on your interest and finances, I'd recommend the Perfect Skating video
with text: http://www.perfectskating.com/test/frameset.htm. It not only
breaks down skate instruction and demonstration clearly, but also has
lots of good exercises that can be done on snow or rollerskis.

Gene

Gunde wrote:

Hi Larry,

Your questions just raise more questions in my mind.
Your 'creep towards the toilet seat posture' makes me wonder if your
poles are too long? Off the rollerskis, if they are up at or above
your mouth, they may be too long, forcing your body position back as
you plant them. In my limited experience, it is better (more powerful
and balanced) to be able to get over the top of your poles, with a
natural forward lean that emanates at the ankles, not the waist.
Strive to have your arms do a natural pendulum swing in all of your
gears, V1 V2 V2alternate. The timing and rhythm of your arm swing is
tied directly to the timing and rhythm of your leg skate. The videos
mentioned elsewhere will help you visualize this timing.
That said, an exercise where you are trying to maximize your glide is
great for balance. Then pull your poles into a tuck position under
your upper arms. But of course maximizing long glide is not the most
efficient way to ski, as long glide is a decelerating activity. A
natural dynamic glide as your body repositions and reloads to power
again is the most efficient way to ski.
My thoughts anyway.