Old August 17th 08, 02:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Gunde

Default What's the secret to long glide with poles?

On Aug 6, 7:40*pm, Larry wrote:
Heeding advice of the masters, I do at least one pole-less rollerski
session per weekend in addition to skiing with poles. Turns out, I
actually enjoy pole-less much more - I don't get tired as quickly and
my rythm and balance are way better without poles, especially when I
have both of my hands behind my back. When I try to imitate poling,
glide disappears, balance is all over the place and there's no rythm
to speak of. Also, all of a sudden there's this creep towards the
toilet seat posture. When I go out with poles, it doesn't feel as
awful but still worse than when I keep my hands still. So: how do I
learn to ski with poles?

Just thought of another question: let's say I'm doing a fairly
leisurely V2-alt on a flat surface. If I'm trying to maximize the
glide, what are my arms supposed to do while I'm still gliding? I find
myself in an awkward pause with my arms kind of hanging down and
waiting before going into the next cycle. It doesn't seem right to
stop the glide just to give my arms something to do. Ideas?

Many thanks!

Hi Larry,

Your questions just raise more questions in my mind.
Your 'creep towards the toilet seat posture' makes me wonder if your
poles are too long? Off the rollerskis, if they are up at or above
your mouth, they may be too long, forcing your body position back as
you plant them. In my limited experience, it is better (more powerful
and balanced) to be able to get over the top of your poles, with a
natural forward lean that emanates at the ankles, not the waist.
Strive to have your arms do a natural pendulum swing in all of your
gears, V1 V2 V2alternate. The timing and rhythm of your arm swing is
tied directly to the timing and rhythm of your leg skate. The videos
mentioned elsewhere will help you visualize this timing.
That said, an exercise where you are trying to maximize your glide is
great for balance. Then pull your poles into a tuck position under
your upper arms. But of course maximizing long glide is not the most
efficient way to ski, as long glide is a decelerating activity. A
natural dynamic glide as your body repositions and reloads to power
again is the most efficient way to ski.
My thoughts anyway.