Old October 19th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
tassava

Default Whiteface Roller Ski Results?

In case anyone's interested, I spent some time adding a few analytic
categories to the race results (men and women): time behind leader,
percentage behind leader, gap to preceding finisher. You should be
able to see it on Google Docs:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...3vzUTLxplKqsMg

Let me know if there are problems; anyone out there can feel free to
link to it.

I'm thinking seriously about trying to get out east to try this race
next fall...

Christopher
On Oct 17, 8:42 pm, "Gary Jacobson" wrote:
"ADK Skier" wrote in message

oups.com...

I'm curious why the Whiteface NYSEF roller ski results weren't posted
on Fasterskiers.com web site. Duncan Douglas (41) from the Rochester,
NY area won the race beating Kris Freeman by over a minute.

From:http://jenex.com/news/news.html
October 16, 2007

Duncan Douglas just plain Fast. Not aided by rocket skis: After the race on
Saturday in New York there is a lot of misleading information on the web
regarding Duncan's skis. Unfortunately I am responsible for some of the
misleading information. I was doing a rapid pace hike up Mt. Pack Monadnock
with my ski poles on Saturday when my cell phone rang. It was Zach Caldwell
calling from British Columbia. He asked all kinds of question regarding
speed of roller skis.

We had sent Duncan some V2-6600 roller skis which use 76 to 80 mm in line
skate wheels. For racing we use Hyper's fastest 80 mm wheels and that's what
I thought was shipped to Duncan. ( With fast Hyper 80mm wheels Peter Galanz
won the World Championship Roller Ski Pursuit some years ago. ) However,
Duncan did not use this setup. I had forgotten that I had asked Libby Adam's
to slow down the Hyper wheels by using our kinematic damping. Those wheels
are ultra slow so Duncan's skis were equipped with some almost twenty year
old Rollerblade wheels that were not that fast when they were new. Urethane
wheels usually get faster in the first year, but after a few years oxidation
reduces the elasticity and rebound of the material. Twenty year old wheels
are not very fast. Duncan skied like hell to beat the rest by such a large
margin.

The 6600 skis do have some advantages as with 4 wheels on each ski you get
excellent push off and the wheels bridge gaps and depressions in the road
making for a smoother ride. Fast wheels make a very large difference on
courses with flats and down hills but, they are not that much better on all
up hill courses. Over the years I have tested various skate skis on the 1.8
mile hill leading to the Waterville Valley Alpine slope. On the lower
flatter section fast wheels made a very large difference, but for the last
mile which is quite steep, there was not very much difference in the time
going up the hill using slow or fast skis. The bottom line is that Duncan
was not on very fast skis. He simply skied very fast.

Gary Jacobson
Rosendale, NY