Old December 23rd 13, 07:00 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Terje Mathisen[_3_]

Default Best cartop cargo carrier?

gr wrote:
I got a nice new 2014 Forester a couple months ago, and now see I am
going to need a cargo box if I intend to carry both people and a lot of
skis. I am brand new to the cargo box and would appreciate any comments
on experiences and advice! Looks like major contenders are Skybox and
Thule.

I've had a couple of Thules, just moved the big box from the (10 year)
old car to the new so that we could get all our stuff up to Rauland for
our traditional xc Christmas/New Year vacation/celebration.

What gotchas do I need to watch out for?
Any really thin ones that might still let my car fit in the garage with
box attached?

I borrowed a bunch of garage jacks and lifted my garage up about 10
inches (25 cm), putting a one-high cinder block foundation underneath
the wooden construction.

After replacing the garage door this has allowed me to drive in with the
ski box on! :-)

Terje

- Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no