Old January 31st 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Chuck Stearns

Default Sled Appropriate for McNamara Hut?

We did the McNamara Hut last year. The first mile is through trees, but
not a tight trail. After crossing the creek, you are on a road for the
next mile or more which is wide and a decent uphill grade. After leaving
the main road, you drop down to a flat meadow, then go uphill through a few
meadows which are nice for turns on the way in or out - this stretch is
about 1.5-2 miles (all of my distances might be off somewhat). At the top
of the last meadow, you enter a trail through trees for the last 2-3 miles.
The trail here is fairly wide although much will depend on recent snowfall
and whether the trail is already broken and tracked.

If you are used to pulling a sled, the McNamara Hut trail is a middle of the
road difficulty for the hut systems. I would think it would be fine to
pull a sled, but I always use a pack, not a sled, which always seems faster
and easier. Good luck

Chuck

"Eric" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hi,

I like to pull a sled into the 10th Mountain Huts since it's usually
easier than it is with a pack. However sleds start to suck on
off-camber, trails or tight trails through trees.

I'm wondering if a sled would be appropriate for the normal trail into
McNamara Hut?

Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Eric