Old December 5th 05, 01:37 PM

foot2foot wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:SVXkf.4679$6Z5.2616@trndny02...

foot2foot wrote:

"Mary Malmros" wrote in message
news:TqXkf.3660$Yh2.1288@trndny01...

foot2foot wrote:

Waterproof breathable "coatings" are useless.

If you're talking about the DWR coating that's placed on Gore-tex
outerwear, you're wrong.

I'm not wrong.

From "REI expert advice".

The "expert advice" explains in detail the usefulness of the DWR coating.
So, I repeat: if you're calling the DWR coating useless, you're wrong.

I've got a lot of experience with DWR-coated clothing, using it not only
for skiing but also for whitewater kayaking, where you _really_ notice the
difference (the evaporative cooling that the REI "expert advice" speaks
of). Water doesn't seep through a drytop with the DWR coating worn off,
but you definitely notice a difference in heat loss.

Glad to see you're awake.

Glad to see you're still committed to treating others in a discussion
with respect, regardless of whether they agree with you or not.

The actual point of the discussion was, can a
coating alone do the same job that a waterproof breathable membrane can do,
coating added or not. The answer is no. You've missed the context and point
of the whole discussion.

I guess I missed it because you never said that, nor did OP or anyone
else state that as "the actual point of the discussion". I thought the
actual point was to answer the OP's question about what to wear while
skiing in Vermont, and how it compares to skiing in Colorado in the
spring, and since I've done both (typically every year), I chimed in.

What _you_ stated, and what I responded to, was, "Waterproof breathable
'coatings' are useless." In fact, they are not. I have quite a few
garments made of Goretex and other breathable fabrics, and I observe
quite a difference in effectiveness between a garment with its DWR
intact and one where the DWR is shot. This is obviously most noticeable
in an environment where the garment is constantly getting wet, such as
whitewater kayaking, but not all skiing is done in desert-dry
conditions, and DWR has value in a skiing garment too.