Old May 27th 04, 08:27 PM
foot2foot

Default Time Machine, 1930's -The Pure Stem

"sjjohnston" wrote in message
"foot2foot" wrote in message
If you place two skis at an angle to each
other, they cannot run straight, but must begin to turn until
they reach a state of equilibrium.

Now wait, a second ... I didn't get too far, but: that's not right. I can

do
a wedge straight down the fall line all day (or at least until my legs get
tired and my hips get sore). I can do a wedge in a straight line across

the
fall line too.

Maybe you couldn't do it in the 1930's with the equipment of
that time. Remember it was apparently whatever kind of boot,
a leather strap and a long hickory ski possibly with or without
edges.

True enough, today, if you slip the skis, you can wedge straight
down the hill. I do it also. It's the uneven distribution of weight
in the wedge (assuming equal angulation of the skis) that causes
the skis to turn, or, that in combination with unequal angulation
(or edging).

I think what we have here is a mystery.

I find pushing on the heels, using the shoulders to weight the
skis, as well as to aid in the turning, and the use of ankles to
flatten or edge the skis (impossible today) as interesting items
in comparison to the way we ski today. I have to wonder how
much of that shoulder stuff was really necessary. Maybe they
just didn't know.