Old April 26th 04, 08:36 PM
Lisa Horton

Default A quick thanks to all

lal_truckee wrote:

Lisa Horton wrote:

In the case of skiing technique advice, I do appreciate every word of
it. But despite my extensive web research, I've had just a few days of
actual ski time. All the info is blending into a blur of "hands
forward, weight centered, stand up and do that thing with your foot
where you feel the edge biting into the snow".

Your roller skating comments (elsewhere) are interesting - in-line
skating is a well established training tool for skiers, and particularly
racers. Racers sometime train on downhill tarmack using in-line skates,
race gates (orange cones, often,) and poles with rubber tips. Flat
(relatively flat) road skating is good stamina training using
skiing-like technique. So break out the skates to bridge over the bad
weather (aka summer.)

Interesting. With conventional skates, when turning at speed, your
weight MUST go to the outside foot primarily, although your inside foot
must also stay on the ground and parallel to the outside foot. Your
outside foot is where the grip is, and thus turning power. Now that I
think about it, the smooth fluid skiers I see above from the lift chair,
what they do looks very much like how I would have skated a steeper
hill. Up to and including continuing your turn arc uphill if you really
need to lose more speed. If you're not a skater, note that at these
speeds, the toe brake is an instant face plant, and even sideways back
foot braking is quite difficult to execute successfully.

Lisa