Old February 21st 05, 10:33 PM
Mike T

Haven't found any yet. When ?

I'm going to resist the urge to consider this a troll post, because in the
USA there are resorts that do not allow snowboarding - to the best of my
knowledge the current list is: Alta, Deer Valley, Taos, Mad River Glen.
This list has shrunk somewhat over the past 10 years. So one reaction by
snowboarders might be to start a snowboard-only resort.

What's your ideal "snowboard-only" resort like? Is it like a normal ski
resort, only no skiers allowed? Or is the whole thing one big terrain
park? What about alpine snowboarders (using hard boots), monoskis, and
split-boards - would they be allowed at your "no-ski" resort?

I would rather not see such a thing. First, the rift between skiers and
snowboarders has been closing in many areas over the years and I for one am
happy about that. Snowboarders and skiers are getting long better.
Pushing for a snowboard-only resort would probably renew some of the
tension, and I have no wish to see that.

What about families with young kids who are big enough to ski but not to
snowboard? Do you want to alienate them? Before you answer, realize that
people who have been snowboarding since they were pre-teens are in many
cases having kids of their own these days. For young-uns that start early,
the road to becoming a snowboarder often starts on skis.

Finally, I find it hard to believe that a resort could get started without
allowing pretty much anyone who wants to come. The four places I mentioned
above have an established clientele and are well established financially so
they get away with turning away snowboarders. I have a hard time imagining
a well -established resort turning away it's skiing customers.

Mike T