Old April 7th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic,rec.backcountry,rec.skiing.backcountry
Eugene Miya

Default Sledge, Pulk?

to unshod walking boots except for very wide crevasses as in large enough to
swallow a sno-cat (think Mawson's Will and his ponies breaking
through snow bridges). Then the ski gives you a false sense of security

In article ,
Hal Murray wrote:
I thought Mawson used dogs and got vitamin-A poisioning from their
livers.

Wasn't it Scott who tried ponies?

Scott used Siberian Ponies, Shackleton also used ponies. Every one used
dogs. Scott tried tractors. I can't remember all the details of Mawson
w/o going back to Will (those polar books blend together) but I recall one
of the accounts watching some disappear into the abyss.

Scott's ponies had snow shoes, those are still at Cape Evans, and I
remember seeing horse feed at Cape Royds outside Shackleton's hut.
All the English had problems with dogs and skiing. Scott only had 4
pairs of skis for the five of them on his ill fated push. This little
fact tends to get overlooked by armchair explorers.