Old November 24th 07, 10:24 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
lal_truckee

Default "Powder" magazine.

Yabahoobs wrote:
This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

...Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

...Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

It's just disappointing I guess.

Skiing went the same way. SKI still has (a few) reasonable articles.
Or is it the other way round? I can't remember if I don't have side by
side issues to compare. Maybe having one corporate parent allowed them
to split the market?

Couloir bit the dust, too. Backcountry bought their subscription list
and promised to finish out subscriptions. I'm skeptical - they'll have
to improve fast if they're hoping to keep the former Couloir
subscribers. Right now it's a lame "Skiing mag for tele/AT skiers." Same
commercial BS and standard mag layout. Crapola IYAM.

Interesting development. Since they were near give-aways, I used to get
Ski, Skiing, Powder, and I got Couloir because I actually liked its
content. Next time they come nosing around looking for their pitance,
I'll probably cancel them all.