Old November 24th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Dave Stallard

Default "Powder" magazine.

Yabahoobs wrote:
This used to be a great magazine. Beautiful pictures, interesting
articles about the culture of people who give up a more traditional
life for skiing...

...Now it's just a ski version of "Snowboarding" and "Transworld
Snowboarding".

...Talk of "hitting the park" and "ripping it off a kicker". SO
lame.

You know, that was my complaint about this year's Warren Miller film,
too. Too much terrain park trick skiing and 13 year old halfpipe
Wunderkinden. Yuck. I kept looking at my watch and asking "are we done
yet?". Then it was intermission time, and I couldn't believe it. "Oh,
I forgot these things had an intermission. Yikes - that means this is
only half over?!". I walked out into the lobby like everyone else.
And then I kept walking, out of the theater, and went home.

Those movies have really evolved, negatively. They used to show more
touristic ski scenes, things that I could do or could imagine doing.
They would psyche you up. Then they started to move to all big peak
backcountry heli-skiing, skiing that I could never do but would want to
do if I could. And that was OK too. Now they show mainly stupid trick
skiing, **** that I would never want to do even if I could do it. I
think I've seen my last one.

Dave