Old January 24th 05, 12:07 PM
Terje Mathisen

Anders wrote:

Terje Mathisen wrote:

When meeting another skier, keep to the right.

There arenīt too many trails with single classical tracks anymore, but
that rule, as marvellously simple as it is, often tended to result in
the ridiculous situation where *both* skiers stepped out of the tracks!
If one skier wanted to indicate that heīd be readily the one to yield
(before age or beauty), he had to step out 50m ahead:-)

Oh, yes, and when they do, as often happen if they are skiing relatively
slowly, and I'm out there all dressed in lycra, I always say a sincere
'Tusen Takk' (Thank You).

Many skiers in Nordmarka have adopted a half-way solution though: We'll
step half-way out of the track, to the right, so that our left ski is in
the right half of the track, and the right ski is outside in the loose
stuff.

When both skiers do this, they can ski at nearly the same speed, without
having to stop or get all snowy.

(BTW the exception to this rule is, of course, that a lone skier
usually moves aside for a train or group of skiers.)

Right.

Terje

--
-