Old January 24th 05, 10:38 AM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 01:21:40 -0600, Gene Goldenfeld
wrote:

I think you should go back and think about what was actually said and
implied in the original post, rather than throwing off thoughtless
comments. If the person in front is going to be startled, then the
chances are the available (or whole) trail is not wide.

If you want to popularize the sport, how about saying "Hello" which
are actual greetings, rather than "On your left", "Track" and "hup" or
"Coming through", which are greetings rather than statements telling
the slower skier they must "prepare" for the faster skier

Moreover, how
does it serve popularizing the sport and building a friendly atmosphere
to go around startling people?

Interesting logical shift. Because I said that skiers/cyclists should
pass others at a reasonable and safe distance and not be concerned if
they are startled (as opposed to passing close and yelling "on your
left" or "track", while at the same time not being concerned if, when
passing at a safe distance, they are startled, the question has become
"going around startling people." That's quite a shift. If anyone
actually wants to startled people, there are even better ways than
passing them silently (or with a "Hello") while several feet away.

The same applies on a bicycle, where
it's also a matter of safety (somebody veering out into the way of the
passer out of careless, care-freeness or to avoid an obstacle the
passing cyclist can't see).

On a bike the fundamental issue is not to pass too close. If you pass
at a reasonable distance, there is nearly zero danger. And by the
time the other cyclist is aware of you, by the time they swerve, you
will be past them.

The on-the-bike warnings are retarded. Think about it -- do you want
cars to honk when they pass you? Or even worse, pass you close while
honking? What if the driver says "I just want to let the cyclist know
that I am coming so they are not startled and don't veer out -- for
their own safety."

And then, there's the matter of cyclists
passing rollerskiers -- don't get me started. I agree 100% with the OP.

The fundamental problem is that too many people doing the overtaking
pass to close. They believe that if you are going faster and catch
someone, they have to get out of your way. That is only true in
racing in some sports. It's absolutely not true on public trails or
roads. And too many people who subscribe to the "track" "on your
left" "c oming through" school of thought try to defend their actions
by talking about safety or not starting people, when really what they
are saying is "here I come, get out of my way or at least don't move."

JFT

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com