Old December 30th 08, 10:02 AM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Roger Moss[_2_]

Default anyone on here been to Bareges?

"scott w" wrote in message
I am looking into organising a trip for a mixed ability group. I'd
like somewhere a lot cheaper than the Alps but with half-decent skiing
for experts. A friend of a friend lives in Bordeaux and always drives
to Bareges / La Mongie - he can't speak highly enough of the place -
though I'm unsure of his skiing abiity.

I was tempted to try there last year - but the conditions were awful -
unlike this year, apparently.

Any tips welcome...

Okay, my Two Centimes'-worth:

In a good snow season (and so far, so good) the French Pyrenees are IMHO
greatly underrated. That said, I'm not a huge fan of La Mongie, although
Barèges has a certain something, as does the higher wooded terrain between
the two. They also tend to keep the return run down to Barèges village open
from the Col du Tourmalet, which is gratifying. You might have a good time
here, but for my money you have better options.

I'd consider:
(1) Saint-Lary Soulan, which now has a freebie transfer service from Pau
airport - and if you're driving, you can split you time here by adding
Piau-Engaly for a change of scenery and decent high-altitude skiing.
Unfortunately, due to a 'situation' between the respective areas, they don't
currently offer a combined lift-pass, but maybe one day...
(2) Cauterets/Pont d'Espagne, adding nearby Luz Ardiden for more
variety/mileage, etc., if you have a car (so worth hiring if you're flying
down). There's a long-term plan to link the two with a gondola, which - if
it ever comes off - will really put these two on the map.

Skied them last season, so more insight and impressions he
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint..._cauterets.htm
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...uz_ardiden.htm
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...saint_lary.htm
http://www.mountainpassions.com/wint...iau_engaly.htm

Hope this gives you a bit more to go on - have a great trip!

RM
www.mountainpassions.com - an Online Magazine with Altitude