Old October 30th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Walt

Default Solitude - good deal when backcountry skiing?

Sandi M. wrote:
Peter Clinch wrote:
Sandi M. wrote:

As we wanna do some off-piste/backcountry skiing (is there a
difference btw? Is offpiste patrolled and backcountry not? Sorry,
might be different in Europe)

Not only no formal prepared runs in the backcountry, but no lifts either...

But in Solitude there seems to be one at least :-)

No. Honeycomb Canyon is not backcountry. It's inbounds lift-served
off-piste. It's patrolled and avalanche controlled, but no pistes or
grooming. (Actually, I think they run a groomer up the runout on occasion)

Sounds to me that "off-piste" is what you are looking for, not
necessarily "backcountry". There's a lot of that at the resorts around
SLC.

As I understand it, "off-piste" has different implications in Europe vs.
the US. I won't speak for Europe, but the US/Canada has the following:

In-bounds - this is the general area available for skiing. It's
patrolled and avi controlled. Some of it may be prepared piste with
marked trails, other parts may be completely wild including cliffs,
trees, rocks and other natural hazards. Nobody will yell at you or pull
your ticket for skiing the off-piste areas. If you get injured
off-piste, the patrol will come and get you (eventually).

In-bounds (closed) - A ski area may close off some of their area for
whatever reason (lack of snow, unsafe condidions, etc.) Often there
will be some areas that are permanently closed. Skiing an area that is
closed is illegal.

Out-of-Bounds - A ski area will have a boundary, usually marked. If you
leave the ski area, you are on your own - no avi control, no rescue,
etc. It is usually illegal to cross the boundary except at certain
spots; there are specific gates that you must go through to leave the
ski area legally. Sometimes these gates are closed. Lift served out of
bounds exists at some resorts.

Backcountry - No lifts, no patrol, no avi control, no nothing. You're
on your own. Maybe a helicopter to get you there and back if you're rich.

//Walt