Old December 7th 03, 03:53 PM
John Smith

Default Alta vs Powder Mountain vs Targhee

The replies to my "Advice for Father/Son Alta..." were great, but created
more questions!

The reason I chose Alta was because last winter I received an overwhelming
response to take my family to Alta for a great powder experience.

Maybe Alta is not the best place to go with high hopes of experiencing
powder skiing on a budget with a limited window of time.

Maybe racing up to Lake Tahoe at the end of a storm in January and February
for some skiing in 6 to 12 inches of, not quite as dry as Utah, powder is
the way to go until we have more money, more experience, and more time.
Still, I know my son would love me forever (once he finishes his adolescent
years) if I were able to treat him to some knee deep dry powder.

The hardcore skiiers/boarders in rsam/rsa might have higher expectations of
powder quality than us intermediates. Although, I definitely enjoy skiing
where there aren't any tracks!

I definitely want to treat my son to some special skiing while he still
enjoys my company. Airfare to SLC I can afford. Several day trips to Tahoe
I can afford. A trip to Targhee, not as easy.

JS