Old January 4th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default Is my heel dragging the snow?

"Jeremy" wrote in message
Bob F wrote:

"Jeremy" wrote in message

The result: Twisting didn't work for me. The best I could manage was

slightly staccato version of rolling from edge to edge, and back to

front
releasing one turn and starting the next. Applying force to the front

half
of the board resulted in peeling off the pressure on the opposite edge

of
the rear half before the new inside edge made noteworthy snow contact.

Contact with the "new" front edge is not made before the "old" rear edge
releases. The twist of the front of the board merely releases the uphill
edge at the front of the board, allowing it to start turning downhill
while the rear of the board does not. As the turn progresses, the

The front of the board turns while the rear does not? Taking that to an
extreme leads to very funny pictures in my head.
With a bit of balance and/or the right conditions, the front of the board
can be completely off the snow while the rear maintains edge contact.

Other
than the flexing in three dimensions allowed by the board, both ends still
turn in the same direction.

Perhaps you mean that the board pivots around the rear, in which case both
ends share angular rather than linear velocity, leading to a casual
observation that one end is moving while the other stays put.

By releasing the edge on only the front of the board, the front of the
board begins to slip down the hill, turning the board.

The best way to see this is to try it at very low speed on a bunny
slope traverse. Twist the front of the board and wait. The board
will start to turn with no other body motion.

I'm not saying that *attempting* to twist the board didn't result in a

turn,
but rather that I did not experience a satisfying turn as a result. My
expectations may be a bit high for a technique aimed at someone trying to
turn a board for the first time.

It is aimed at someone trying to turn the first time, and continues to
be useful as skill develops. Learning to use this, like any other technique,
requires practice. I am still using it as I develop my skills in the
steep/deep
crud and the moguls. To me, it seems to significantly reduce the risk
of catching my edges when trying to turn in difficult circumstances. It
makes a huge difference for me when riding switch, for instance.

I am certainly not trying to tell you you should turn this way, but if I
can help a few people improve their capabilities by trying something
new, I'll be pleased.

Classes start Sat, so maybe I'll lose the desire to "teach" here.

Bob