Old February 8th 12, 02:05 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Lew Lasher[_2_]

Default Question about older Fischer S-Bounds, negative pattern

I am looking for used (metal-edged, waxless) backcountry skis. Someone
on Craigslist is offering a pair of old Fischer S-Bound skis at a very
attractive price. The width is 88/60/78, corresponding to what is now
called the S-Bound 88. My impression is that, when Fischer initiated
the S-Bound brand, they were only available in this width.

I have found a couple of comments online that criticized the old S-
Bounds for their negative waxless pattern, saying that the grip was
not good when going uphill. The newer S-Bound skis have a different,
positive, waxless pattern, along with a number of other improvements.

I plan to use the skis in hilly terrain (for example, on Vermont's
Catamount Trail). I don't do a lot of backcountry skiing, and, in good
snow conditions, I would probably use my existing waxable, metal-edged
backcountry skis (Fischer E99). So I don't feel that it's worth it to
spend a lot of money to have the newest, most improved skis. But I
want something that will be usable.

I'd be very grateful if anyone here has any feedback on the usability
of the negative waxless pattern on older Fischer S-Bounds.

Lew Lasher
Cambridge, Massachusetts and Stowe, Vermont