Old December 14th 05, 03:52 PM

This will be my third year boarding and I learn a lot from this group and
want to pass on a tip that may possibly help with broken bones, in case some
of you aren't already aware of it.

Fiberglass casts with a Gortex lining.

I've had one cast in my life and that was last year when I broke the
scaphoid bone in my left wrist a week before Christmas, trying to make a
turn over what truned out to be solid ice. I had a cast on for one week
with the a regular cotton lining and within two days was going crazy with
the itching and not being able to get it wet. I saw someone working at a
snowboard shop with a cast on his wrist and he told me I had to get the
gortex lining. When I got the original cast off after a week to re-xray I
requested the gortex lining and ended up having to pay for it myself which
was the best $11 I've ever spent. For the next 10 weeks and two casts "no
itching" and you can get them wet and they dry in an hour or so. Hopefully
this is used most places automatically but my HMO didn't and without a
fellow snowboarder telling my about gortex I would have suffered needlessly
all those weeks. I have also passed this on to others that I've noticed in
casts with cotton lining so cotton must still be used alot.

Also, Tom, unless your season to snowboard is a small one you can probably
still get out there. Check with your doctor but after about two weeks I was
back snowboarding. My glove just barely fit over my cast (the fiberglass
ones seem to be thinner as well) and the cast gave me tons of protection.
The anxious part was when I finally got it off. I waited a few weeks
because of the soreness trying to work out my wrist again and then wore a
wrist guard.

Good luck, Stan (new Donek is waxed and ready to go when we get a little
more snow).

"Tom Skelley" wrote in message
Thx for the advice dude. Unfortunately yesterday I tripped and broke my
wrist, so I guess I'm going to miss this season. WAAAAAAAAAAAH! :-(

Russ (UK) wrote:
Hi Tom,

Its pot luck really, sometimes it's cheaper and others it isn't. I

personally don't risk it and buy my stuff in the UK as the last thing I
would want is to turn up in resort and find out they have sold out

HTH

Russ