Old October 27th 03, 08:28 AM
PG

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

"Dave J" wrote in message
In inside of
uk.net.news.config, 'Don Aitken' wrote:
I remember Chankel relating what a bunch of arses there were in unnc.

That remark ensures a few yes votes. Including mine.

And people are criticising me for saying I'll vote no?

Voting Yes on an uncontroversial group like this is much less
obnoxious than voting No.

The worst result of an unnecessary 'Yes' vote is an empty group that
gets removed later. The worst result of a pointless 'No' vote is that
some people are denied the place of comunication that they desire. I
know which I prefer.

Worse still, the possibility the both suffer to the point of non-viability.
Which directly affects those that use or are likely to use these ngs, but is
only of academic interest, dare I suggest, to the hierarchy organisers, many
of whom I doubt we'll see much of either in rsre or in the new forum, should
it come about.

The bottom line is that in practice both ngs appeal to the same Europe-based
Anglophone audience, and cover the same subject matter - a seasonal,
minority sport. It would make more sense to broaden the appeal of the uk.
group by covering more ground, such as suggested elsewhere, with the likes
of uk.rec.mountainsports, or whatever.

The idea seems to have crept in, from comments made, that rsre are against
the proposal through some kind of protectionist 'logic'. I think if visitors
from unnc had greater knowledge of rsre regulars they would realise that any
objections are genuinely based on concerns for traffic overall. It is in the
interests of those who regularly participate in the sport to promote
discussion, as long as the means to do so make sense, and I'm sure all the
potential no-voters from rsre have this and only this in mind. Most of us
don't care two hoots for hierarchy politics, and which letters of the
alphabet prefix their ng, as long as it works.

Pete