Old February 11th 14, 08:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe

Default Schumi's crash & injury

PipL wrote:

On Thu, 06 Feb 2014 21:23:46 +0100, Ace wrote:

Dr. Sceptic: The fact that he has such a serious head/brain injury
demonstrates very well just how little protection his helmet gave him.

Well, it could be argued that the injuries might have been even worse had he
not had a helmet. Distance from piste is irrelevant: Diamant Noir in Flaine
had a couple of visible rocks early last week, though I didn't get to ski it.

Personally, I'd say that it's down to personal preference, but should not be
legislated, any more than cycle helmets should.

I woe a helmet most of last week, partly, I confess, because of the Schumi
incident, but also because we were sometimes skiing through trees and it kept
scraping branches from ruining my fabulous head of hair (cough).

If you are blessed with a "fabulous head of hair (cough)" then there
is a definite argument for wearing a helmet or at least a hat. Hair on
the head is there to protect it and it is only when one finds it gone
does one realize (I am reliably informed) how effective it was.

I wish I could grow 'beard' on my head because my beard is a lot
tougher and more effective than 'hair'. Which is mainly why beard
grows on your face. The only downside is that after ten minutes in
sub-zero, you have an encrustation of ice all around your mouth and
nose.

If you have a "fabulous head of hair (cough)" then just about any
activity requires headgear. Even a flat cap offers more protection
than nothing.

I have nothing against headgear. The opposite. I just have a lot
against other people (governments) telling me what to do.

I certainly wouldn't normally wear a helmet when skiing on-piste or even easy
off-piste.