Old January 11th 05, 11:08 PM
Gareth Crawshaw

Default Where to buy gear in the [south] UK?

Hi... I don't know if anyone remembers, but I was here a month (or so) ago
looking for hints on layering? Well... Having been, I was more worried than
I should have been - unless the layering worked supremely well, because I
didn't feel an ounce(?) of cold! Anyway, I was in Norway (Rondane) and
morning temperatures were generally around -18° but rose to -8°(ish)...
Coldest temperature was -30° one night but layering was good - and I never
got to wear my Rab Latok jacket...

Anyway, absolutely loved it. (I've got some pictures if you're interested...
Not very good ones because it was a learning experience with a new digi
camera as well - which struggled with batteries and light... if you are
interested, they are at http://www.ecce.biz/gc/exodus/rondane04/index.html)

Loved it so much, I'm going again start of March and hence... loads of
questions, so thanks for your patience!

Anyway, I'm going again start of March and ski hire is additional and given
I want to go again, I'm thinking of buying my own gear. Not many gear places
in the general East Anglia sort of place (East Midlands) here in England
hence, lots of questions, but mainly, what do you guys recommend for a
novice beginner like me who is just starting out on (hopefully) a future of
getting better at Classic XC Skiing?

I'm going to go over the Peter Gynt Loipe in March, if that's any hint as to
the sort of skiing I'm going to be doing...

I've had a look at a few suppliers' sites (Salomon, Fischer and Atomic),
trying to work out what sort of ski would suit me - the skis I used
(rentals) in Norway (Rondane) were Madshus, but I've no idea what they
were... All I know is that they were waxable. So ski wise I've come up
with...

Salomon: Salomon Classic 8
Atomic: TX6 Cl52
Fischer: Cruiser

.... but then, I don't know what I'm talking about as a total novice...
Questions...

I would need poles and boots aswell. Is it worth buying in the UK? Can I get
better "package" deals elsewhere? Are these skis okay for me (64kg/140
pounds) I can see that medium length is right for me - but where does
"flexibility" come into it? (All I can see is length!)