Old September 22nd 10, 05:18 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Mike Clark[_2_]

Default Zermat

In message
Ace wrote:

On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 09:11:10 +0200, BrritSki
wrote:

On 21/09/2010 21:22, Ace wrote:
On Tue, 21 Sep 2010 19:37:59 +0100, "Mike"
wrote:

So, 2 short visits and diss the resort for some encounter with some bankers.

Well, it's more than some people ;-) But yeah, this and BrittSki's
post do seem to be extrtapolating from a little experience.

Hold on, I listed many of the things that were worth it in Z, but if
you're not a great off-piste skier the skiing is NOT that great and the

Well of course, if you're not into off-piste, I'd agree - the on-piste
skiing is only average. Then again, I rarely stick to pistes, so am
not always the best person to comment on that ;-)

In my two skiing trips to Zermatt I've probably clocked up about four
days skiing, all of them off-piste skiing but using the pistes to link
up routes or get back down to the valley at the end of the day.

(I've also visited several times for summer alpine mountaineering.)

The scenary is spectacular and there is a certain charm to the village.
There are also a couple of decent bars and restaurants that I enjoyed
visiting. But it certainly wouldn't be near the top of my list for a
place to spend a week of on-piste skiing.

lift system sucks, even if you do know your way round it. We had a
day with a guide in our week there, and we spent about 20% of the
day with him queuing !

I really don't think it's any worse than most other large resorts. It
used to be a lot worse, but it's improved over recent years.

For early season on piste skiing I usually end up somewhere in areas
such as Espace Killy, the Three Valleys, or Paradiski.

Later on when I'm touring I often pass through a lot of resorts, many of
them much smaller. If the weather conditions are not right you may
end up spending a few days on piste waiting for an improvement in
the off-piste. I've had some pleasant times in Jean St Luke, Morzine,
Arolla, Saas-Fee, Lauterbrunnen, Kandersteg, Andermatt, La Fouly, Bourg
Saint-Bernard and in some larger resorts such as Grand Bornand,
Courmayeur, Verbier and Grindelwald. My touring is often based
(beginning and end) around Argentiere, more recently staying in the
village of Le Buet, so I've got to know the slopes of Le Tour and Les
Grands Montets very well.

Queuing generally hasn't been a big problem in these resorts because
often I'm there when the weather is sub-optimal and many skiers
choose to stay indoors, or in the villages!

Anyway, it seems that you agree about this aspect in your reply. Ski
there once by all means, and then make your own mind up. I have, and
there are lots of other places I prefer, including Gressoney that you
mention, La Thuile and my own personal favourite Courchevel.

Oh yeah, sure, and I wouldn't/don't often ski Zermatt, but I do think
there's something special about it, so it should be on everyone's
"must ski" list.

Definitely it's a great place for scenic beauty in the mountains.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,