Old September 20th 13, 10:44 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
The Real Bev[_4_]

Default Lone Pine to Mammoth in 9 minutes

On 09/20/2013 10:09 AM, Richard Henry wrote:

Watching it, and another video showing the drive the other way, I was
remembering my first trips down that road when it was mostly 2 lanes,
and most of the 4-lane sections were in the towns. Local cops could
pick off speeders trying to get around the trucks and RVs, especially
on Sunday night southbound.

Passing was a real thrill because of the truck-hiding undulations in the
road. Damn kids just don't know how to drive any more :-(

Now that the road is all 4 lanes except for about 10 miles north of
Olancha, the CHP uses aircraft to pick off speeders out in the open
country.

Best motorcycling in the world at Kennedy Meadows up Nine-Mile Canyon to
the west. Or at least it was 30 years ago.

I was looking for a video of a drive from 395 to Mammoth/June in winter.
Gave up after a while, but saw some pretty damn impressive landslides.

--
Cheers, Bev
"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there