Old November 29th 03, 06:37 PM
Mike M. Miskulin

Default Tahoe Snowboarding Question

While pondering the Universe, (Kevin Harper) wrote
:

Hi, we are heading to Lake Tahoe in January. I am from the East Coast
and this will be my first trip to western ski resorts. We are
intermediate boarders and would like the best resorts for long fairly
flat runs. We are staying by Heavenly and were also thinking of

flat? I assuming you really mean to say not bumped, or at least groomed
every now and then.

I was out to Tahoe 2 years ago in March. It kinda sucks you are staying
down south as you may have problems getting north. Heavenly was the only
one I didn't ride at, based on recommendations that it is for skiiers
and has lots of flats that require you to unstrap.

Kirkwood was ok, but was a touch icy up on top compared to the others.
This should make you feel more at home Its a bit of a drive as
well, but not too bad. Also, keep your eyes and ears open, I noticed
people like to cut across runs there.

On the North, I would recommend Alpine Meadows, or if on a weekend,
Homewood. Homewood is a 'locals' kind of place and has some spectacular
views of the lake. My bad experience may not be typical, but keep an
eye on your gear around the lodge. I had some goggles swiped by a kid
while I was turned away at the bar. Alpine Meadows I thought was really
good. They were able to distribute the crowds very well and the terrain
was great. I really did not like Northstar. I felt like all I was
doing was riding lifts, and the runs I did do weren't that great.

Becuase of the distance and conditions, you might want to look at
booking a night up north. I stayed at Granlibankken. It was something
like 90 bucks for the room and got an awesome breakfast next morning too.

mike