Old February 7th 05, 11:33 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Apologies for massive OTness.

ObSki: Looks like it's going to snow during the beginning of the week, then
warm up to the 50s by the weekend. Has Colorado weather gotten bad for
skiing, have I gotten spoiled, or what?

On 2005-02-07, JQ penned:

[about monique's r1100r]

That's a lot of bike for a beginner, just be very careful. There is more
power there than meets the eye. I always recommend a small bike for
beginners for the first two years and then a gradual build up to get used to
the power, weight and handling capabilities. The BMW is a very nice bike
(that is 1100cc bike right?).

Yup, it's the 1100cc bike. Just ask my insurance company =P

What do you mean by handling capabilities? How do you think it's different?

It's a lot of bike. Unfortunately, I fell in love with the styling, and while
an 800 was made for a few years, they're even harder to find than the 1100.

I posted on two moto newsgroups asking for advice about whether or not a
beginner who'd just passed the MSF class should get this bike. Owners
of other motorcycles warned against it, but every Beemer owner (as I
recall) said that with the MSF under my belt, and with my generally
cautious/inquisitive attitude, I should be able to handle it. I also
wear a full-face helmet, padded jacket, padded pants, gloves, and
ankle-covering boots whenever I ride. It won't work miracles, but it's
better than nothing.

The power is there, but you have to ask for it. It's not nearly as twitchy as
my husband's sportbike. My only problem has been the weight, but not while
moving. I've dropped it a few times at a standstill[1], and I haven't been able
to pick it up, even with the butt-first method. I probably could if I had to,
but thus far I've always had someone nearby who could help me out. I'm very
glad I got this bike -- it's used, so I don't freak if it tips, and it doesn't
show wear from the tipping.

Unfortunately, because of the weight, I do think I'm a little leery of
practicing very tight maneuvers ... that is, if I could find a place to
practice where the security guards don't shoo me away! Because of this, I
think it's extra important to attend the follow-on moto course, in which you
do the MSF drills on your own bike. I plan to do that this summer.

[1]
For the curious:

Once during the test drive (doh!). I came to a stop and was staring at the
controls by my feet, trying to figure out ... something. I didn't notice the
bike was tilting till it was too late. I felt awful. The owner was
exceptionally nice. The fact that he was more concerned about me than about
his bike, and that he insisted I ride it again so that I wouldn't develop a
fear of the bike, had a lot to do with me choosing to buy from him, even
though he said I shouldn't buy it if I didn't feel comfortable. As long as
I'm moving, the bike feels very comfortable; it's only at a standstill that I
notice that, hey, it's huge! Oh, and I don't stare at my feet anymore.

Once while departing my cul de sac. I tried to turn left at about 0.1mph and
the bike stalled mid-turn. That was rather embarrassing. The clutch is your
friend, as is momentum.

Once while, er, dismounting. I'd parked on a (very slightly) angled surface
and not tugged the bike down onto the kickstand firmly. The bike was
essentially standing straight up, and when I got off the minor movement put it
off-balance. Ugh.

Total damage from all of this is a tiny scuff on the back of the left hand
mirror. I'm sure that if/when my husband drops his bike, it will be hundreds
of dollars of repair if it's a dime. Then again, his bike is lighter than
mine, and he's bigger than me.

--
monique
Longmont, CO