Old October 27th 03, 12:54 PM
Paul Giverin

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

In message , Ace
writes
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:45:21 +0000, Paul Giverin
wrote:

I don't normally vote on newsgroup creations which don't interest me in
some way but when I see people declare their intentions to vote "no"
just to protect a group in another hierarchy then I will use my vote to
try and counter what I see as the right of uk.* to function in the way
its members wish.

Oh, "rights". You're on some sort of personal crusade to right
Usenet's wrongs, are you?

Oh but that's what you seem to be doing.

Why the **** not? What's it got to do with you?

What's it got to do with me? Its got everything to do with me. Surely I
don't have to spell it out again?

You do. I still completely fail to understand why the existence, or
otherwise, of a uk.* skiing ng to which you have no intention of
contributing, should affect you in any way whatsoever.

I've explained it several times now so I'm not going to waste my time
repeating myself.

Usenet is not supposed to be competitive.

Then why try and veto a uk.* group because a skiing group exists in
rec.*?

No-ones trying to veto it. We're simply pointing out that amongst
skiing Usenet users there already exists a forum which completely
overlaps with, and therefore renders futile and unneccessary, the
creation of the proposed group. Therefore we'd vote against its
formation.

So you are voting against freedom of choice? Why vote against it? No one
is taking away your existing group. What do you have to fear?

You should really look up the words 'veto' and 'vote'. They may use
the same letters but have quite different meanings.

Not in this context.

--
Paul Giverin

British Jet Engine Website