Old December 10th 07, 05:17 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
Bob F

Default Little Kids Snowboards?

"Speedskater" wrote in message
On Dec 6, 5:34 pm, Speedskater wrote:
Where can I learn more about boards for little kids. A 40 pound (18kg) 3
and 1/2 year old has out grown (skill wise) his department store plastic
board. The ski area requires metal edges and a safety strap but don't
rent that small.

That's unusually young to be snowboarding, which is why you're finding
it hard to locate equipment. Most places start junior snowboarders out
at older ages than skiers. E.g, at my local ski area the minimum age
for snowboarding lessons is 6; for skiers it's 4.

Joe Ramirez

He's all set to go! This is a picture from last February:

http://www.ohiospeedskating.com/images/snowboard_sm.JPG

Wednesday we got some snow so in the morning he practiced in the driveway,
including going down the sidewalk and making a sharp right angle turn with no
instruction. After lunch we went to a nearby park with a hill. I set him up on
a gentle run-out. He said "No Gramps, I want to surfboard there" and went to
the steep hill (steep enough to require concentration sidestepping down it. He
snowboarded for over an hour. He needs to be ready to go to Colorado in
January to snowboard with his aunt.

But buying new stuff that will only fit for one year is very very expensive.
The local slopes may not have small stuff, so we might have to go out of
state.

I'm impressed.

Bob