Old December 13th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry,rec.skiing.nordic
Peter Clinch

Default Going off trail

DL wrote:

On the knee issue, tele basically out?

Depends exactly what the problem is: "bad knees" covers a lot of bases.
Mine are pretty dodgy but I find for my particular values of "pretty
dodgy" that tele is a Good Thing, because the stress goes onto the
supporting muscles rather than piling impacts straight through the
joint. So my knees really like tele (my thighs want to explode, but
that's a different matter!).

I ski on non-release bindings too (though they're Riva 3s, so they might
release if push comes to shove, but I'm not doing anything too extreme).

For a lot of knee problems, they get a lot smaller if one works on
building the support muscles. High cadence cycling and skating (skis,
blades or wheels) are all good for that, and thighs that can crush
coconuts will be a big help for tele.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK