Old January 3rd 07, 10:39 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic

Default Looking for cheap entry-level skate skis 205cm+

If you find used skis, you'll want someone along who can check out
whether they fit you and your needs in terms of flex, ski
characteristics and wear. Skinnyski.com classifieds are good and take a
look at the sales stock at the several shops in your area. The second
level skates run at about half the price of top racing skis and are a
good choice for starting out. Something like Fischer SCS, Atomic RS 9
or 10, Maddshus, Rossignol and Salomon. Look at Gear West, which has a
site and lots of overstock from previous years, and also I hear that
Joe's often has sales. Not to knock the others. Pick boots for fit,
then choose bindings to match. The other reply is correct. You'll want
the longer skate in any brand, about 192-195cm, but it's the weight
to camber relationship that is most important for starts. Good luck.

wrote:

All right, the subject says it all, mostly. I am a big guy 6'3" and 220
lbs. I have classic skis and have enjoyed them for two seasons. This
year I would like to give skating a shot. I've been searching around
for a decent pair of used skis, but am having a hard time finding ones
long enough for me. So, I figured I'd post here and see if anyone may
know of someone looking to unload some rock skis or may have a used
pair laying around. I am planning on buying boots, bindings and poles,
so just the skis are cool.

I am located in the Minneapolis area.

Thanks for any leads, people!