Old October 7th 03, 03:58 AM
Eric W. Chandler

Default Rollerskier in Fairbanks ticketed

I was rollerskiing in a mall parking lot in San Diego near Xmas one year. A
rent-a-cop came out and told me, "You can't do that here." I said, "Do what?"
and he said, "That." He'd probably never seen snow before. Luckily, I was
leaving anyway.

I thought it was funny.

It's too bad that the cops see it that way. I used to live up there and have a
hard time believing that most people would be upset at it. I used to battle
with the Security Police at the Air Force Academy when my cycling team (road;
about 30 guys) used to ride around the base. They had it out for us and there
wasn't much you could do but do your ride and grin and bear the harassment.
Luckily we were bikes and it was harder to eliminate us from the road. Not so
easily said about rollerskiing.
Eric "Shmo" Chandler
Duluth, MN