Old January 19th 04, 10:02 AM
David Brown :o\)

Default Our snowboarding misadventure at Seven Springs

Are there any dry slopes near you? They are much more difficult to board on
but a lot slower, and with decent lessons (which by the sounds of, you
definately didn't have) you'll pick it up in a safe controlled manner.
At your standard you should not be travelling forward at all IMHO, as you
noted you will soon become a fast moving uncontrolled projectile.
You say that you couldn't get an edge at all, but you should be on an edge
at all times, flat running at your level (and mine for that matter is
lethal).
Side slipe on both heal and toes edges untill you are in complete control of
speed and the board.
Then try falling leaf (side slip going side to side) on both heal and toe
edges. Then try the same but turning a little more into the fall line and
back to perpendicular to the slope again.
Gradually turn more into the slope as you get more confident but still keep
on either toe or heal edge, do not try and swap edges. Do this in both
directions on both toe and heal edges.
Do not progress unless you are in complete control.
Once you control the board safely from Heal edge to straight down fall line
and back to heal edge stop and the same for toe edge, then and only then try
swaping from heal edge start to straight line and toe edge stop. Doe this
heal-straight-toestop and toe-straight-healstop until you are completely
happy with it and your control, this is the hardest bit to conquer and can
take time, but just take things slowly.
When mastered, try not coming to a complete stop but carry on traversing
accross the slope and put in another turn in the opposite direction, and so
on down the slope.
Once you are at that stage you are well on the way to becoming a well 'ard
boarder dood ;o)

Hope that helps, but don't take any of that as gospel as I'm a learner
myself.

"David Brown )" wrote in message
He's gone for boarding (see later thread), but I reckon
he'll be skiing after the first week )

"Joe Ramirez" wrote in message
O ye of little faith! We shall see.

Joe Ramirez