Old May 17th 04, 08:20 PM
Michael A. Riches

in article , Bernd Nebendahl at
wrote on 5/17/04 9:46 AM:

reason snow flukes have metal cable connections. The best way to
use a shovel is as a standard deadman with a sling around the
shaft, of course if you do that you don't have anything to dig
the deadman out with. Snow flukes make crappy shovels and
shovels make dangerous snow flukes.

I would not recommend to use a shovel as deadman. The shaft is
not strong enough for that purpose. Even ice axes might not qualifiy
for the usage as deadman (there is a UIAA norm for shafts).

Bernd

I agree, but for a different reason. The snow shovel would make a good
deadman for anchoring things like your tent. Like Booker said, though, as
soon as you implement that shovel for a deadman it's pretty much out of the
picture as far as a shovel is concerned.

I have used things like trekking poles, mountain axes, tree branches and the
likes, very successfully, for anchoring tents, in all kinds of weather. I
have never used any of these (other then the mountain axe...) for body
weight or over and don't know if I would unless that was all I had...

Ratzzz...