Old September 30th 03, 07:02 PM
foot2foot

Default Wanna do a 14ner this New Years Eve or Da

Sell the tent, boots and crampons and get an
avalanch beacon. Make sure your partners do
the same.

Besides that, get the Avalung, and the inflatable
ballon backpack thing.

Failing those last two, at least get a probe as well.

There's only *one* thing you *really* need, and
that's a beacon. The other things you really need
are a probe and a shovel. Clothes are but a luxury.

"Ken Reed" wrote in message
om...
I would like very much to join a team that is planning to do a 14ner
this New Year's Eve or Day. I have done 17 14ners so far, but they
have all been summer ascents. I have done some bigger mountains(Pico
de Orizaba(18,700 feet), Mexico; Chopicalqui(20,828 feet), Peru) that
required snow and ice work. I am also an avid 5.9-5.10 sport climber.

I have read of epic climbs of the Diamond on Long's New Year's Day.
That is NOT what I am looking for. I'm thinking something relatively
easy and safe, like Quandry or Shavano(hopefully something I haven't
already done).

I have most of the equipment I need, including a Walrus Expedition
tent, snow shovel, ice axe, plastic boots, crampons, etc. I lack
snow shoes, skiis, and a zero degree fahrenheit bag. I am hoping we
won't need avalanche beacons 'cause the route will be so safe.

If you have a team or want to form one, please contact me.

Thanks,
Ken Reed
paka.reed@p...