Old November 2nd 06, 07:52 AM posted to rec.skiing.alpine,rec.skiing.snowboard,rec.skiing.backcountry
Sandi M.

Default Solitude - good deal when backcountry skiing?

Damned LRZ (right, it's easy to figure out my location).
But thanks for the help. BTW:

4) Many backcountry skiers which sometimes can be helpful,
especially if you buy them beer at the bar and ask
knowledgable questions.

So, that does work with you as well? ;-)

Sandi

klaus wrote:
In rec.skiing.backcountry Sandi M. wrote:
See my other post.

So what do you think are the main dangers for the Wasatch (to be that
specific)? I took classes, but what are the main differences between the
Alps and here in your opinion?

Warning: Extreme generalizations.

Most prominent Wasatch Hazards:
1) Wind loading on east aspects.
2) Sometimes heavy snowfall.
3) Buried surface hoar.
4) Very terrain and history dependent hazard due to skier
compaction/previous slides.
5) Explosives from helicopters.

Mitigating factors:
1) Predictable hazard (for the most part). Read this daily:
http://www.avalanche.org/%7Euac/newa...y/advisory.php
2) Safe terrain can usually be found.
3) Some "frontcountry" offers quick and experienced body recovery
from the adjacent resorts.
4) Many backcountry skiers which sometimes can be helpful,
especially if you buy them beer at the bar and ask
knowledgable questions.
5) Usual storm pattern involves heavy warm snow turning to light
snow as the storm progresses. leading to right side up new snow.
South wind at start, NW as it continues.

Again, these are gross generalizations and are often wrong.

As for the Solitude angle to out of bounds, go with 10 packs of single rides if you are planning on mainly OOB.

And one more thing, judging from your posting handle and location, you
may qualify for a free local tour guide that speaks german. ;
Disclaimer: I am not a ski guide and all risks will be your own.

-klaus