Old October 28th 03, 12:13 AM
Alex Heney

Default RFD: create unmoderated newsgroup uk.rec.skiing

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 12:54:27 +0000, Paul Giverin
wrote:

Oh, "rights". You're on some sort of personal crusade to right
Usenet's wrongs, are you?

Oh but that's what you seem to be doing.

In what way, exactly?

You appear to be having considerable difficulty with the concepts of
majority decisions, and voting.

Why the **** not? What's it got to do with you?

What's it got to do with me? Its got everything to do with me. Surely I
don't have to spell it out again?

You do. I still completely fail to understand why the existence, or
otherwise, of a uk.* skiing ng to which you have no intention of
contributing, should affect you in any way whatsoever.

I've explained it several times now so I'm not going to waste my time
repeating myself.

We don't want a repetition.

We would like to hear an explanation which makes some sort of sense,
if you have one.

Usenet is not supposed to be competitive.

Then why try and veto a uk.* group because a skiing group exists in
rec.*?

No-ones trying to veto it. We're simply pointing out that amongst
skiing Usenet users there already exists a forum which completely
overlaps with, and therefore renders futile and unneccessary, the
creation of the proposed group. Therefore we'd vote against its
formation.

So you are voting against freedom of choice? Why vote against it? No one
is taking away your existing group. What do you have to fear?

What we fear is that this will have the *effect* of taking away the
existing group.

It is not the most active group on usenet, but is sufficiently active
at present. Even a small reduction in posters could take it down to a
level where the rest would not find it worthwhile.

You should really look up the words 'veto' and 'vote'. They may use
the same letters but have quite different meanings.

Not in this context.

Absolutely 100% in this context. Voting against something is NOT
vetoing it. It is taking up your right to have a say in the decision.
If sufficient people agree, then the decision will go against.
Otherwise, it will go for, in which case, your vote was hardly a veto,
was it?
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Nitrate: Lower than the day rate.

To reply by email, my address is aDOTjDOTheneyATbtinternetDOTcom