Old February 9th 04, 09:19 PM
uglymoney

Default Help! Sking @ Jackson Hole march 5th to march 14th...

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 12:46:01 -0800, lal_truckee
wrote:

Atomik Alien wrote:
Guys or gals!

I would like to know what it is like to ski at Jackson Hole in early
spring. I am planning to be there from march 5th to march 14th. I do
like steep terrain, glades and most of all powder! I am worried that
at that time there won't be much powder left, can you please confirm
that these dates are still good for powder snow?

Jeff should chime in. March is still snow season, so basically it
depends on the weather. Luck of the draw. I've had some spectacular
March days there, some so nicely stormy that most folks stayed indoors
and even the tram wasn't crowded to start the day. Of course I also
froze my ass off.

I am also planning to go to the Best Western in Jackson also... Is
this a good enough hotel? Anybody tried it before?

Good enough for what? It'll be nice, clean, modern moderately priced
hotel rooms; nothing special. A step up from the Motel 6 down the street
in both rooms and price. If you're looking for expensive ambiance try
again - Jackson has lots of operations ready to take your money in
exchange for handcrafted beds and breakfasts. On the other hand even the
Best Western is way overkill, IMO. Money down the tubes for a place to
sleep. Try the Anvil Motel http://www.anvilmotel.com/ clean,
inexpensive, old timey, and run by nice folks, right downtown around the
corner from whatever night life there is. (If you're traveling alone,
the Anvil also has a basement with cheap bunks and a chance to hook up
with other dedicated cost-cutter skiers. Pretty nice as these things
go.)

Its a shame that none of the downtown motels under $50 take dogs. The
Flat Creek is okay, it has a bit of a view anyway, but it is just over
$50 which puts it on the expensive side for Jackson, and out of town
a mile or so, the Red Lion is too expensive, the Antler and the Anvil
don't take even highly trained well mannered medium sized dogs.

So I'm always left with the Motel 6. Nice quiet rooms, close to good
barbeque, cheap, close to town exit, exceptionally affordable, but too
far from downtown and the ability to walk to nearby shops and
especially home from pubs.

Anybody know if any of the downtown area motels take dogs with some
convincing?

Also, the article Friday in USA today (which nearly made me puke with
its emphasis on the rich and Jacksons emphasis on it. While they
talked about backrubs and pampering for most of the article, they
never mentioned cheap rooms for the dog owning visitor who likes to
walk home from the cheap beer pub. Why is it that all ski articles in
major papers are aimed at such a small minority of people who are
wealthy and willing to spend it on a room with ridiculous services
while their dog sits helplessly caged up in a kennel thousands of
miles away) suggested that they are charging ten bucks to park in the
Village. This is just for the close in parking right? Two years ago
it was still free if you rode in on the haywagon behind the truck, and
I asssume that is how it still is?

nate