Old September 19th 03, 08:58 PM
Ilene Carpenter

Default American Birkie Advice Sought

Dell Todd wrote:

I've only been to two Birkies, but I've got the hang of it. There is
the expo @ the Telemark lodge @ the Cable end. Mostly this is a retail
deal meaning vendors are selling ski products, but not services such
as yours. The services are being offered out of the shops. The shops
are concentrated in Hayward, and in a couple pockets between Cable &
Hayward. If you have an offer to get in with any one of those shops,
whether or not they are near the turnoff @ the "00" crossing, that
would be fine. The 00 crossing is simply a trailhead parking lot with
no shops. Out by the main drag (near the intersection of "main drag" &
00) there are some shops.

That would be Highway 63, which goes from Hayward to Cable. At the
intersection of 63 and OO there is a ski shop, a restaurant/bar and
a couple other businesses. That route (63) gets plenty of traffic during
Birkie week because its the main way people get to Cable for bib pickup,
etc.

Between the registration & overall extravaganza @ Telemark, and the
Elite Sprints downtown Hayward, there is plenty of reason for all the
skiers to be transiting between the two, and thus, by all the shops,
in the days before the race.

Ilene