Old November 21st 11, 06:48 PM posted to rec.skiing.nordic
Ben Kaufman

Default Does skating absolutely require groomed trails?

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 17:55:51 -0500, gr
wrote:

Aside from the obvious nice heavy top crust snow, is it possible to
skate on snow which is say, 9 inches deep and untraveled? Or is trail
breaking something you can't do at all wit skate skis?
gr

No. You can't skate in those conditions, especially with skate skis;
I've tried it. There's a snowmobile trail I can sometimes skate on, and since
it's their trail, I get off of it when they come by.

Ben