Old January 21st 11, 06:40 PM posted to rec.skiing.backcountry
Dan

Default Carbon Poles vs. Alum?

On 11/24/2010 1:31 AM, Martin Thornquist wrote:
[ gr ]

Is carbon too fragile for backcountry skiing (ie; they break instead of
bend like aluminum)

I've broken aluminium poles (in two places at the same time, even -- I
hit a tree). I've now had Black Diamond's Pure Carbon poles for a
couple seasons, they're still fine, but I haven't really had any
accidents where they could have broken.

Carbon XC ski poles do break, you see pieces along the ski tracks
sometimes, but I suspect aluminium also would have broken in those
instances, or at least bent to unusability.

Martin

I still use bamboo (and have broken them, too).

Dan