Old August 26th 03, 08:32 AM
BJohansson

Default Why Is Austria Skiing Dirt Cheap For USA Right Now?

I've skied both the Rockies and Austria somewhat extensively. I'm an American
who lived in southern Germany for 4 years. Innsbruck is not a ski area in the
sense that Breckenridge or Copper or Vail are resorts. Innsbruck is a fairly
large town that hosted 2 Olympics. The skiing is 20-30 minutes away from the
town and quite honestly, not worth your time. As others have stated, the best
decent skiing near Innsbruck is St. Anton which is a ski resort similar to the
Colorado resorts. However, St. Anton is about 90 minutes by car from
Innsbruck. There is train service between the 2, but I have no idea what the
schedule is. As others have also mentioned there is a large variety of other
"resorts" within 1-2 hours of Innsbruck. I'll echo what the others have said.
Lech is one of my favorite Austrian resorts, Ischgl is huge (another "resort"
similar to US resorts), I had great luck with the snow conditions on the
Hintertux glacier. All that being said, Innsbruck is a starting point, not a
destination in my view; Unless you're going for the "European experience"
which is great, but if you're a hard-core skier, I think you'll be disappointed
with the skiing around Innsbruck.