Old May 26th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.skiing.resorts.europe
Ace[_3_]

Default Why only ski Europe?

On Tue, 26 May 2009 22:19:50 +0430, "
wrote:

Ace wrote:
"

The Rockies:

Obtuse. Plenty of tree skiing. Plenty of powder skiing. You can ski
more powder in a single day in the Rockies than you can in a season in
the Alps.

Rubbish. I must have skiied at least 50, possibly as much as 100km
vertical of powder this season. In Europe. And that's with working as
well, not skiing full-time.

This season yes. But I can remember seasons which were almost 100%
blank draws for powder. Even with chasing after it. If I ski powder it
usually merits an entry in the diary. In the Rockies powder is just
there. It is not cause for comment.

It's true that this has been an exceptional season, but I've skiied
lots of powder each season for the last few years. They key, of
course, is living close enough to good off-piste resorts to take
advantage ofit when it's there, but the fact remains that if youare,
then you can find powder in plenty in any normal season.

I am not talking BS powder, like "Oh here at Vaspen, we have champagne
powder ! You can just blow it off the top of your car !" or "Come to
the powder paradise of ..." but the actual snow you can ski on.

Sure, and it's true to say that sometimes the 'quality' of the alpine
powder isn't so high as you may find in the rockies, in that it tends
to be much less fluffy, higher water content, etc. But it's stil
lpowder.