Old April 1st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.skiing.snowboard
HUCK

Default Waxing question

On 1 Apr, 17:32, Jolly_O wrote:
I've been waxing my skis for several years, but I just started
snowboarding this year, and the board seems to be a different beast.
Mine is a Burton Bullet. I can tell when my skis need waxing very
easily. The bases start have that haze of oxidation, and there is no
longer the faint trace of a wax film as I rub my thumb firmly across
the base.

The base of my board seems to be made of something entirely different.
I hot waxed it, and after the first day's riding, it didn't feel waxed
to the touch as my skis do. Since the base is white, I can't see
anything either. To this newbie snowboarder, it seems that waxing
this board provides little benefit. I checked the Burton website, and
where it describes the different bases it says that my base performs
with or without wax. I enjoy waxing and tuning my equipment. Am I
actually accomplishing anything by waxing my board?

Thanks,
Ja

I have two boards--A Burton Canyon and a Vision. The first time I
used the Burton, I had to take it to the base ski shop and get it
waxed. I was dead in my tracks on anything under about 30degrees.
Once waxed, it has been fine. Burton said it was waxed at the
factory, but it did not act like it. My other board, the Vision,
seems to go and go waxed on not. It looks to me like waxing would help
reduce nicks and scratches some. Also, It provides the opportunity to
really inspect your board closely once in a while.