Old November 11th 04, 08:59 AM
Nick Hounsome

"Alun Evans" wrote in message

Some of my friends being taught to carve by the ESF in La Plagne this year
were told by their instructor to go and dump the planks of wood they were
on
for some real skis.

He then swapped skis with one of the girls for her to tell the difference,
which she could. (He was testing some of Salomon's next seasons skis to be
fair).

I find it odd that an instructor would be using beginners skis (unless he
was testing them for
usability for beginners).

I can't believe that anywhere really rents "planks". As far as I am aware
I've never been given anything more than a year old.

The one thing that I would look out for is the condition of the skis - I've
asked for another pair where the edges weren't sharp or the base looked like
it had been skiing gravel.