Old November 10th 04, 10:20 PM
Alun Evans

On Wed 10 Nov '04 at 21:50 (NIALLBRUCE) wrote:

Any chat on whether the "premium" skis offered by most hire-shops are worth
the extra? I know that it's not the most urgent topic of discussion but it
affects everyone. On average, the "premium" skis demand a 40 pound
premium. I've read the sales pitch from the manufacturers and hire companies
but would be interested to hear about someone's own experience.

So I'm one of the people who still hires skis, and I do go for the "premium"
option these days, though given the total cost of the week's hire x 2, and the
reliability factor, it is making me think I may buy my own skis this year.

Are the 'technological' advancements significant? If so, how do they affect
our skiing? Is there a material difference?

Well these days I'd think that all the hire skis would be carving style, but
certainly the skis I first learnt on in 2000 were almost straight, but it
didn't really bother me in my snow plough.

I think the real difference is in the age. Premium == Newer. Plus they tend to
have complete sharp edges in my experience.

If you think about what the older skis have been through, 3 or 4 years, 6 days
a week skiing for the entire season. Most people's skis wouldn't get that
treatment in their lifetime. They must be suffering from some kind of fatigue.

Do they affect different people in different ways ie. depending on their
ability or style of skiing?

I don't know what standard of skiier I am. I'm just learning how to carve.
Should I opt for the "premium" option?? (nb, I am a student - poor!!)

Some of my friends being taught to carve by the ESF in La Plagne this year
were told by their instructor to go and dump the planks of wood they were on
for some real skis.

He then swapped skis with one of the girls for her to tell the difference,
which she could. (He was testing some of Salomon's next seasons skis to be
fair).

As for the random factor, I've found that the main hire shop in Soldeu,
Andorra has X number of standard skis and Y number of premium skis, and every
couple of years they move the premium to the standard, and buy new premium
ones.

This means you get your exact length in a ski of your choosing.

in the other hire places I've been in, they seem to have a mismash of
different types of skis, and what they have in your length you get, even if it
may not be ideally what you want (i.e. something that is horrificaly wide...,
or something that doesn't look that "premium", i.e. old).

The other thing I've noticed is that you pay your money to the tour operator
who claims to be getting a discount for you, but looking at the offer prices
on the web for other shops in resort, I'm not so sure.

Alun.