Old August 18th 03, 04:41 PM
Douglas Diehl

Default LT Training for Lance, Why Not Nordic Skiers?

Thanks Gene!
"Gene Goldenfeld" wrote in message
Doug's a top-level master skier in his 40s and I think he's trying to
figure out what to do with his training to get better results this year.
Last year he decided to try something different and followed Lee

Borowski's
plan. However, from what he recounts he must have done so too literally,
without adjusting it enough to his situation, and got burned.

In a discussion with Kevin Brochman recently, he said that a basic

training
schedule should be two hard and one easy workouts a week (that's what I've
been trying to do minimum this spring/summer, but without forcing it). He
didn't specify, but from reading elsewhere I would take one hard to be
level 3 and one level 4 until the fall, when the intensity can start to
rise. Intervals should be part of that. He also talked about how he
coached the Lindsays last summer -- that is, Weir and Williams, both just
graduated from high school. The program was four hard weeksdays a week
with a day off in the middle. If he saw they were flat or tired, he'd

tell
them to go home and take a day or two off. Then they'd come back rested
and do PRs. Among the workouts were 1-mile running intervals between hill
tops, 80-stair climb repeats, and rollerskiing the infamous Coulee. Of
course, Weir made the Olympic team and Williams was not far behind. Also,
of course, they were both about 18 years old, had the time and

conditioning
to put in 15-20 hours/week, and an excellent technique coach. Those of us
40-60+ should adjust accordiningly.

Gene

tanford.edu wrote:

[2] - P.S. if you think multi-millionaires are going to publish
their trade secrets in a $4 magazine where all their competitors
can read it, I have some very fine bridges and swamp land that
you might be interested in.