Old January 4th 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine
Alan Baker

Default Bindings Advice Sought

In article . net,
wrote:

The last time I skied, I caught an edge, my bindings didn't release, and
tore a knee cartilage. I can't recall these bindings (Salmon S850 with ~
15 days of use) releasing -- ever -- except in "yard sale" falls. After
several years off skis, my knee has healed to the point that I'm ready
to try skiing again, but I don't want to fzck my knee completely, and
wonder what I should do to make sure my bindings will release safely.

When the bindings were set up, the ski shop asked me for weight, height
and skiing ability, and set the bindings at "7". Given that they never
released, I wonder if they should be set up lighter? And how do I make
sure they're set low enough that I don't reinjure my knee, but don't
release in normal skiing?

Finally, over the years I've heard many people condemn Salomons for
being unforgiving. Is that an old wives tale, or are there safer
bindings I should consider (whether newer Salomons or other make)?

Thanks,

Java

I think the most important thing you can do with regard to bindings is
to make sure that they are set to a level that manages the risk of
injury at the level *you* want, not what the DIN chart says is right for
you.

The DIN standard makes a good starting point, but if you find that you
aren't releasing in falls that hurt you somewhat, then you might want to
try a little lower setting. Or if you are releasing when you'd rather
stay in, then you may need to set your bindings a little higher.

--
'It is Mac OS X, not BSD.' -- 'From Mac OS to BSD Unix.'
"It's BSD Unix with Apple's APIs and GUI on top of it' -- 'nothing but BSD Unix'