Old October 14th 05, 06:17 AM
private

"Booker C. Bense"
bbense+rec.skiing.backcountry.Oct.12.05@telemark. slac.stanford.edu wrote
in message ...
snip
The only thing keeping you safe is your judgement
and it's incredibly easy to confuse luck with skill. There's a
high potential for self delusion in all this, particularly after
you've done it a while. Pilots have a handy phrase for this that
I can't google at the moment. Basically, you're most dangerous
when you have enough experience stop overestimating the risk,
but because of your false sense of expertise you begin
underestimating the risk. I believe that I fall squarely
in this category and I think it applies to 99% of the people
that would be categorized as "experienced" in any avalanche
survey.

_ Booker C. Bense

As a collector of "pilot's handy phrases" I would appreciate your posting
this phrase when you recall it. (Probably 10 minutes after you hit send)

The phrases that come to my mind are the classics,

"Good pilots use their superior judgment to keep them out of
situations where they might be required to demonstrate their superior
skill."

"Good judgment comes from experience, unfortunately, the experience
usually comes from bad judgment."

"Don't worry about whether you'll live or die; worry about how stupid
you'll look in the accident report."

TIA