Old June 15th 17, 02:58 PM posted to rec.skiing.alpine

Default Old pictures

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 5:20:39 PM UTC-7, lal_truckee wrote:
On 6/13/17 2:03 PM, wrote:
My father recently passed away. Today I got a box of photos and mementos from the lawyer handling his estate. Included was a picture of my mother on skis, dated 1943.

Sweet memories to savor.

My father grew up on a farm in Fayston, Vt, the town where Mad River Glen and the Glen Ellen side of Sugarbush are located. From the porch of the farmhouse you could just see the MRG trail cuts peeking over ridge to the south across Shepherd Brook. He went into Waitsfield for high school, which meant a 3-mile walk every school day to meet the school bus. He told me once that he made his own skis from barrel staves, but the old pictures of a big buck hanging from the oak tree out front show a flexible flyer-type sled leaning against the tree. He started skiing with modern gear at Jay Peak back when they only had two Pomas, and all us kids got skis and ski gear for Christmas.

My mother was born in and grew up in Warren, where the main side of Sugarbush is located. She and her mother moved to Long Beach for a year (her 9th-grade year) and then moved back to Waterbury. We lived for a couple of years in Groton, a little mill town (textile bobbins and granite) and I recall her taking me and my brother out on the small hills there on skis with rubber bindings that fastened over our snow boots when I was about 6.

Her brother was even named Warren (born there and lived there his whole life except winters in Florida) - he and Aunt Bev bought the general store in Irasville (the cluster of houses between Waitsfield and Warren where Routes 17 and 100 (the ski area roads) meet) after he retired from GE in Burlington. I remember skiing at Sugarbush once and discovering that my cousin, fresh out of the Navy, was working as a chairlift attendant there.